Best Dry Dog Food to Meet Your Nutritional Needs
The best dry dog food should contain ingredients that can supply adequate nutrition.
Dry foods are perfectly okay for your pet, provided the food is balanced. If the
bulk of the ingredients is cereal based, like corn, rice or soy, it is not balanced
enough for your pet.
Read list of ingredients: Only when the dry dog food contains
meat from chicken, lamb, turkey or beef as a primary ingredient, is it good quality
protein. It also means it will be more beneficial for your pet because protein is
a principal component in the nutritional needs of dogs
Advantages of Using Dry Dog Food
- Dry dog food is usually the most economical among all the commercially available
food types for dogs.
- Since it is dry, it has a longer shelf life than most other dog foods, even without
- Dry food is actually good for the dental health of your pet. The chewing action
keeps tartar build up at bay and the teeth stay much healthier
- It is convenient and quick especially when you are pressed for time
- Since dry dog foods do not need refrigeration they will not take up space in your
fridge unlike many other commercial foods
- It can be combined with home made preparations to make it tasty and even more nutritious.
For instance, you can add a vegetable juice to kibble to improve its nutritional
value and at the same time soften it for better digestion for your pet.
Tips for Choosing the Best Dry Dog Food
- Limited grains, more meat protein is a rule of thumb when choosing a brand
- Protein should be a specified meat and not meat by-products which tend to be
of dubious quality and can be unhealthy for your pet
- Choose a product that it suitable for your breed. You can check with a reliable
breeder and tap into their experience to seek advice on the
best dry dog food for your particular breed.
- Dry dog foods differ in formulation and composition for large breed dogs and smaller
dogs, so you have to choose accordingly
Choose a product that is suitable for the life stage of your pet. There are 3 main
life stages - Puppy stage, Adult life stage and Senior stage. You will find
dry food products tailored for the nutritional needs in different stages of life.
How is your dog reacting and responding to the chosen dry diet:
The best barometer to ensure that you are using the right dry food happens to be
your pet. If it is uninterested in the dry food that you are serving, then you should
look for an alternative immediately. There are many brands and products in dry dog
food and since it is not very expensive compared to other commercial food types,
you can afford to test out a few brands and see which ones your dog likes and more
importantly see for yourself if your dog is staying healthy on that food.